Saturday, January 06, 2007

the way to start each day

Having said recently that I would resume writing morning pages, as recommended by Julia Cameron in The Artist's Way, it's about time I provided a brief progress report.

I've been writing for just short of a fortnight now, three pages every day, missing only one so far. It means getting up half an hour earlier, and it can be a struggle sometimes, especially when I'm starting at work early. I do feel better for it, though. It feels like my head is cleansed of the day-to-day concerns that clog things up, leaving me free to concentrate on what I want to.

The drawback, however, seems to be that I feel less inclined to write in this blog, and not at all in my other blog. Perhaps I only have a limited number of words each day. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

2 comments:

emma said...

Glad the writing is doing the trick Alec. I guess that blogs can be an escape valve for thoughts and stuff, but if that release is happening elsewhere, that can only be a good thing. We'll have to make sure we get these memes and ideas on the web site for this very situation!

tone the blueshawk said...

I'm getting the same kind of thing out of writing posts, which is something I mostly do first thing in the morning - I'm not sure I've got three pages a day in me - but I suppose I'd need to try to find out. Problem is that my hands often can't produce much typing, and the idea of holding a pen for even one page beyong me... txxx