Thursday, January 18, 2007

grumpy old man, part 67

We went to a certain carpet store recently to take advantage of some big price reductions in the sale. On the price calculated in the store on measurements I'd taken, we ordered some carpet, paying a deposit while we were there.

As arranged, someone came to measure and provide an accurate price. My measurements were out slightly, which after all is why they send someone to do the real measuring, but there was also some tale about the shape of the room and the direction of the weave which meant it had to be laid in a certain way which meant more material would be used. The cost of the fitting also increased, but I was never clear quite why. All in all, the final price turned out to be nearly fifty per cent over the price indicated in the store.

We went back to the store to cancel the order and ask for a refund of the deposit, at least partly because we felt we'd been taken for a ride. There was never any difficulty about the cancellation or refund, but when it was clear that we were serious, the salesman suggested that we give him an hour or so, and he would see what he could do to reduce the price to near what the original estimate had been.

In some countries, haggling is a part of everyday life, but I don't feel comfortable playing a game where not only are there no official rules but it's not clear that you're even playing one until you question something.

Yes, people haggle about house and car prices, but they are often second-hand and not in formal showrooms. I don't want to compete with salespeople and wonder afterwards whether I've been ripped off.

2 comments:

tone the blueshawk said...

I don't think it's grumpy to complain about sharp practice like that. And I'm glad you got it sorted.
I had loads of problems getting a deposit back some years ago, when carpet I'd ordered still hadn't arrived after months of waiting. I was told it would have to be a head-office refund - I said that in that case, I intended to stand at the counter and explain to each potential customer the company's refund policy. Strangely (and no doubt coincidently) the head office suddenly seemed to relocate to the office at the back of the store... txxx

emma said...

Sometimes you got to get tough. Some companies will try to 'get away with it'. Unfortunatly, the 'nice' customers are often the ones kept waiting. Asserting yourself, asking for what you were promised, isn't being grumpy, it's fair and proper.