Friday, December 01, 2006

Pride then fall

I had a couple of sobering experiences at work this week. One was quite general, so I've written about it on my other blog. The other, however, was more personal, so it seems more appropriate to write about it here.

I spent quite a few years in my previous career, and I became accustomed to knowing it thoroughly. I quite happily represented my organisation at all sorts of meetings, and I knew how to fulfill my role.

I decided to change career, however, and retrained in multimedia. My current job, which I've only been doing for a couple of months, involves using multimedia in the museum world. I know little about museums and I know even less about using multimedia in that specific context.

In my eagerness to get things moving, I forgot that, and acted as though I knew as much as I did in my old job. Fortunately, not many people were aware of this, and no damage was done. It was just a timely reminder that I have a lot to learn in my new role. Enthusiasm is good, but recklessness isn't.

3 comments:

emma said...

Enthusiasm is good and recklessness isn't but I wonder if you really were reckless. Sound judgement comes with experience in many areas - that includes judgments about what you know and knowing where you need more knowledge. Don't be put off - remain enthusiastic - confidence can be easily rocked and that can make you doubt yourself when you don't need to.

tone the blueshawk said...

I find it hard to believe you were reckless - it must be very difficult to do what you've done in change direction so substantially, and I for one admire you for it. Carry on taking the intiative - it's the right thing to do even if your employers disapprove - Txxx

purkul said...

hi alec,

well the way to look at it is is, nothing that happened couldn't be put right.

& more importantly, you had enough knowledge to recognise that it wasn't right and had the skill to sort it out!

nat
x