Monday, December 25, 2006

peter and the wolf

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I watched 'Peter and the Wolf' on Channel 4 yesterday. It was a recent animation by Suzie Templeton, with no dialogue, just the music by Prokofiev to tell the old Russian story of a boy, his grandfather, a bird, a cat, a goose, a hunter and, of course, the wolf.

When I was young, I used to listen to the record with a narrator telling the story, and it used to scare me silly. The wolf's theme was dark and menacing, and I hated the insidious creeping up on the unsuspecting creatures.

The version on television was arresting, interesting, clever, unusual and, in places, amusing, but it wasn't scary. I don't think it was just because I'm so many years older. I can still be scared by wolves and vicious dogs (and consequently werewolves, but that's different). The wolf here was just doing what wolves and indeed all creatures do - eating to stay alive.

Darkmatters has several posts about this film, starting here, then here and here, for an alternative, thorough and enthusiastic interpretation.

5 comments:

tone the blueshawk said...

oh bugger I missed it - and I wanted to watch it - never mind they may repeat it - Txxx

Alec said...

It's on again on Saturday 30th December, at 6.25pm on More 4. Hope you like it.

emma said...

I can remember the record of Peter and the woolf. Each instrument was a different animal wasn't it? What was the flute? That one sticks most in my mind.

chris164 said...

I always end up seeing that snow man and the boy every year. Didn't see it this year though, which was nice. I might catch "peter and the wolf" on more 4 then. Cheers Alec

purkul said...

hya alec,

funny thing ain't it crimbo, i caught santa clause the movie, which in kinda way is my peter and the wolf!

luv that film, always blart at it but in a good way, i suggest ya all watch it if ya get chance although i prob just find it so good in a naff nostelgic way rather than it actually bein decent!

merry christmas!

purkul
x