Saturday, February 03, 2007

Farewell, Sarah

I've been struggling with this post for a week now, and I'm still not convinced I've got it right, but it felt wrong to abandon it altogether.

Eight days ago, I went to Sarah's funeral. She was 22, and it was very sad, but there were some humorous moments which I think she would have appreciated. She had Goth tendencies, so her coffin had silver chains and symbols on it, and some flowers were in the shape of a large, black boot with buckles up the side. Driving alone in my car, I managed to become separated from the cortege, and couldn't find my way from Cheadle to Cheddleton, so I finally arrived at the church just as the last piece of music was playing.

There is a lot I could write about the whole event, but I've chosen not to. Instead, I'm going to finish with what I've concluded over the last few weeks: what sets us apart from animals, in my opinion, is the choice of whether or not to fulfill our potential to make a difference.

2 comments:

emma said...

Been thinking of you over these past few weeks Alec. Hope life starts to get easier. Em.

tone the blueshawk said...

I'm very sorry to hear of Sarah's death. I had no idea that you were having to deal with such difficult circumstances. Take care of yourself my friend. love Tone