Wednesday, February 07, 2007

charred chard

Have you ever played homophones? It's a very simple game. You take it in turns to suggest a pair of words that sound the same but are spelled differently. An obvious pair would be 'two' and 'too'. Depending on how lenient or strict you are, you might also allow 'to'.

I played for the first time recently, and was surprised just how many there are. A certain person offered 'pour' and 'pore' which are perfectly acceptable, but wanted to add 'poor' as a further homophone, which I wouldn't allow. Perhaps I was being too harsh, but she then went on to suggest that 'paw' is yet another, which is definitely unacceptable.

The only problem was, we played the game just before going to bed. I lay awake for ages, unable to stop trying to think of more. Each time I found one I had to switch the light on so I could write it down because I knew I wouldn't remember it in the morning.

What games do you play?

4 comments:

Domenica said...

I love playing most board games, especially ones involving the use of words. One that comes to mind is "Scattergories" I used to have a "Games Night" whereby there would be 4 to 6 people playing a variety of games for the whole evening.
I supplied wine and nibbles (not sure whether that hindered or helped proceedings) but I know a good fun time was had by all.
I also like playing "Charades"

Domenica said...

I love playing most board games, especially ones involving the use of words. One that comes to mind is "Scattergories" I used to have a "Games Night" whereby there would be 4 to 6 people playing a variety of games for the whole evening.
I supplied wine and nibbles (not sure whether that hindered or helped proceedings) but I know a good fun time was had by all.
I also like playing "Charades"

emma said...

I'm not great at board games. But I LOVE quizzes. I use to lie in bed and listen to Brain of Britain on radio 4, flabbergasted that people knew such facts! When I was younger I remember playing monopoly which seemed to last for days and then the banker won anyway. I like card games - and often play them with the daughters of a friend of mine in the ice cream place at Trentham - hope the owners don't mind.

atypicalpen said...

Alec - hope you're well.
Tone and I sometimes lie down with our eyes closed (doesn't have to be dark) and play word association. We just take it in turns to say words trying to go with the first thing that comes into our mind as a response to each other e.g. black, beauty, spot, dog, collar, cuff.... and so on. The aim is to relax totally and get really tired. haven't done it for quite a while though.
My favourite boardgame is taboo - you play in teams and one person picks a card and has to describe the word on the card without saying it, or any of the other words on the card and you can't mime, or do "sounds like....".
A member of an opposite team watches over you and if you break a rule they squeak a squeaker. You can pass. They idea is to get as many as you can in a time limit and another opposition team member is the time-keeper.
e.g. apple pie - can't say, apple, pie, granny smith, custard.
Its hard - it helps if you know the team member(s) that you are describing with so you could say for example "your Mum's favourite pudding". I get very competitive!

I also love scattegories, but find it a bit brain-aching and serious, as it doesn't involve team-work.