Thursday, November 16, 2006

the tracks of my tears

Recently I've been getting a lift into work and home again, but today I walked both ways and I really enjoyed it. It gives me an opportunity to listen to music on my mp3 player and enjoy the cool, fresh autumn days.

It seemed a day for 'Sticky Fingers' by the Rolling Stones (can it really be 35 years since it was released?), followed by the more recent 'Tour de France Soundtracks' by Kraftwerk. I have a poor ear for music, and no musical ability whatsoever, but both albums have clearly distinguished instruments, and I enjoy thinking about how the various parts have been put together (or constructed, in the case of Kraftwerk).

Sometimes it saddens me that I no longer seem to get emotionally involved in music - it's just a pleasant but distant experience. And that's why I hate those ear buds. I resent the intrusion inside my head. But desensitisation is much wider than music, both personally and societally, and a topic I don't feel capable of tackling. Perhaps I'm anxious about what I might conclude about myself?

6 comments:

emma said...

Dance like there's no-one watching - not sure if that helps Alec. How about going to a gig? Be interested in what other music you like Kraftwerk and the Stones sound like a great starter to me.

tone the blueshawk said...

I can understand that it would sadden you not to be as emotionally involved. The opposite is happening to me - I find that increasingly music moves me to tears (it always has had done this but not as powerfully), particularly stuff from the sixties and seventies. It can be a problem as I can be watching the tv and suddenly something comes on that makes me well up. It doesn't seem to be a conscious nostalgic link, but a deeper limbic reaction.
Do you fancy going to a gig sometime? or even joining a very informal "choir" where voice/musical skills are not needed - Pen and I go on Thursday evenings, and it is very enjoyable.

tone the blueshawk said...

BTW - I don't know why, but I've only just found this blog - I like it very much - Tone

purkul said...

hi alec,

music, now there's something i can talk about! not so clued up on the whole computer thing mentioned on previous blogs to be honest.

first. luvin the title, that is one of my all time fav tracks Smokey Robinson complete leg-end! ha ha!

i can identify with what your saying about distance from feeling the sentiment of the song.

i'm a real listener of music rather than just hearing - i like to understand whats meant, or what it means to me, if ya get me.

But with 1 thing and another over time i feel like i built a barrier up. songs that i loved, or moved me just don't have the same effect - type of thing.

Although thats not to say i've given up on me love! I've found its all about finding new tracks to 'feel' & love - if the feeling attached to the old tracks ya listened to are no longer there or too hard to feel.

not quite sure if i'm making much sense now.

but the general point is luved the blog alec!

nat
x

emma said...

I can't stop thinking about this Alec. When I was younger songs seemed to sum up exactly how I felt, but I can't listen to those songs now, I guess they don't resonate with in the way they did - that was then. Now I prefer to play, I'm trying to learn the guitar, and I love playing. I'm pretty awful, but do get completely lost in strumming 3 chords. The songs I listen to now are different. I download them music from Chordie.com (recommend the site) and make a bit of a racket - Em asked me how I relaxed yesterday and that's how.

Why not come to the Hope centre in Hanley on Saturday - there's a drumming workhop at 10.30. It'd be good to see you - we hoping to do a bit of MIND BLOGGLING! :-/

chris164 said...

i think that for me any song that makes me dwell too much on my life or get emotional is a goner straight away(so no titanic songs for me).
As for constructing songs me and bro are getting increasingly frustrated at mashing together the three elliments we've got(bass,lead guitar & singing)and the song sounding like it's being played backwards.