Saturday, November 04, 2006

go to work on a porridge

Etcb has written a post about her favourite meal of egg, chips and beans, especially if the chips are home made., and she received some appreciative comments. It's at this time of year that the importance of food becomes apparent again, to keep us warm and fight off colds.

I like to start the day with a bowl of porridge. I'm still Scottish enough to put salt on rather than sugar, but not too Scottish to be concerned about using the five-minute variety of oats. I still need a little bit extra like a banana or toast and marmalade to satisfy my need for something tasty, but porridge keeps me going through the morning like nothing else can.

What do you like for breakfast?

3 comments:

emma said...

Porridge - get's my vote too Alec. I fallen increasingly in love with it as I get older. Warm food in the morning is very welcome. My Mum and Dad are scottish, and they both had salt on their porridge, in fact as I recall they had salt on pretty much anything!
Did you ever have stew and sausage for breakfast? Not sure whether this was just peculiar to our family, or whether it was peculiar to Scotts? Oh and tatty scones - Mmmmm.... They've got some fantastic grub north of the border.

Alec said...

Can't say I've ever had stew for breakfast, and it's many years since I had tattie scones, but they were delicious.

I agree about there being fantastic food from up north. Did you ever have butteries? I think they're from the north-east, a bit like croissants but crisp, flaky and full of butter.

I could go on about this for ages. I think this calls for another post!

emma said...

No - but I'd like to try them! Sound delish.

I remember square sausage and square bread, except it was oblong not square.