Friday, November 10, 2006

sums can be fun

I enjoyed writing about Scottish food recently, but that wasn't the sort of topic I had envisaged for this blog. I'd intended to write about more personal stuff here, preferably positive and happy stuff, and leave the more general topics to my other blog, The Valley of Lost Things.

Obviously, there are no hard and fast rules, and it may be that I find the upkeep of two blogs to be too demanding, but nevertheless that's what I'm still aiming to do.

So what's today's little item then? Well, it's not very personal, but it does make me happy. I've been getting more and more interested in kakuro recently (otherwise known as cross sums). It's a number puzzle, a bit like sudoku because you fill in the numbers one to nine in a grid, but it also involves a little bit of mental arithmetic.

The Guardian has a kakuro puzzle each day, graduating from easy on a Sunday :) Monday morning to hard on a Friday. Even better, though, is the website dedicated to kakuro, with a new free online puzzle every day.

You can buy kakuro software there if you wish, and there are other kakuro sites with puzzles you can print out or software to download, but one puzzle a day is enough for me.

2 comments:

emma said...

This sounds interesting Alec. I wonder whether there is any scope for putting something like this - a simple one, for me - on the mindbloggling site.

chris164 said...

that sounds good. I might start practicing with sudoku for a bit first.