Thursday, June 21, 2007

snakes on a desk

Yesterday, someone brought two snake skins to work - not made into anything, just complete, empty skins that had been shed. One was about a foot long, and even had the eye coverings that snakes develop just before they shed their skins (and apparently, because they can't see, that's when they're most dangerous).

The other skin was even more impressive. It was from a boa constrictor, about four feet long, and felt like tissue paper. The pattern varied from small patches on top to much larger ones underneath. I scanned the skin on an A3 scanner, and although I don't know how I'm going to use it yet, I'm sure it has potential for powerful images.

Many years ago, I saw a snake in the process of shedding its skin at Chester Zoo, but handling a complete skin was even better.

4 comments:

emma said...

You scanned a snake skin! Wow. Bet that doesn't happen often! I must say, snakes are my biggest irrational fear. I nealy trod on a snake down at the apiary last summer - scared me silly. When I visited my sister in Africa, I was petrified that I was going to end up in the tent (we were camping) with a snake. Mmmmm...we didn't, thankfully.

Anonymous said...

Honestly... I mean, what kind of bonkers job could anyone POSSIBLY have that involves scanning snake skins???

(It was pretty cool though.)

purkul said...

hya,

wow thats fab!

you'll av put them on your blog it would be interesting to see!

purkul
x

Domenica said...

Hi Alec,

I'd love to see a picture of of the snake skin you scanned, should be really interesting and quite unique!!