Tuesday, May 15, 2007

choo-choo!

I'm very lucky with my job. Today I realised almost every boy's fantasy (no, not that one, the other one): I rode in the driver's cab of a railway engine. We were doing some timelapse photography, and the kind people at the Churnet Valley Railway drove a diesel locomotive specially for us all the way from Cheddleton, past Frogall, to the end of the line and back.

Perhaps the experience was wasted on me, because although I enjoyed it, it didn't mean nearly as much to me as it did my colleague, who was thrilled to be allowed to blow the whistle a couple of times.

It was very pleasant, though, travelling through lush greenery in the soft rain. We disturbed a lot of pheasants, who seemed to like perching on the track, as well as a barn owl and a fox.

3 comments:

tone the blueshawk said...

I'm intrigued to know what you think every boy's other fantasy is (ie not the one about being on the footplate of a choo-choo)?

You don't mean "that" one do you? Heaven forfend!
txxx

emma said...

What one? Is this an exclusively boy thing? Or...

Alec said...

I was, of course, referring to scoring a goal at Wembley. What did you think I meant?