Sunday, April 01, 2007

whole lotta love

For a long time, I didn't like using my personal music player. The main reason was because the bud earphones hurt my ears, but I also resented the way the music invaded my head. It was right in there, intrusive, relentless and demanding.

Now, however, I have a pair of headphones that hook round behind my ears, and although they're uncomfortable after a while, they're much better than the others. Being able to listen for longer means that I've now found that I like the direct contact I have with the music. It's just the two of us, and although I can still hear external noises, they're distant and can't intervene.

To my surprise, it was the music of Led Zeppelin that finally clinched my new appreciation of this way of listening - albums II and IV. I'd never really listened to them properly before, and dismissed them unfairly.

Now, I've borrowed the boxed set of Zeppelin albums, and I'm working my way through them. I've not discovered anything quite as good as II or IV yet, but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.

2 comments:

emma said...

I gotta be honest I don't know an awful lot by led Zep - but everyone I know says I ought to, so I will.

klahanie said...

I really enjoy listening to bit of Led Zeppelin. I borrow my son's wireless headphones and I am quite content to rockin' to Led Zeppelin whilst checking out my bedding plants.
Have you listened to 'House of the Holy'?
Kind regards adanac67.