Saturday, April 07, 2007

two firsts in one day

I'd been wondering what it would be like, and now I know. I had my very first bee stings today, and they weren't as bad as I'd expected, thanks to quick reactions by Nick at the beekeeping society. Both stings were through latex gloves and the barbs were removed quickly so little venom entered my system. Shortly afterwards, it was as if it had never happened, and no sign of an extreme allergic reaction, which was a relief.

The other first today was sighting a greenfinch at one of our bird-feeders at the allotment, confirmed by a quick check on the Internet when we returned home. I'm not much of a twitcher, but I enjoy watching the various small birds that fly nervously back and forth to grab a morsel of grain.

4 comments:

emma said...

It's a bit of a rite of passage for a beekeeper to be stung - thefear (as is often the case) if far worse than the actuality.

purkul said...

hya,

sounds like fun! ;-/!! ha ha

purkul
x

purkul said...

hya,

sounds like fun! ;-/!! ha ha

purkul
x

tone the blueshawk said...

there is real and continuing pleasure for me in watching the birds in my garden - but I can't envisage becoming a twitcher - not least I'd be at risk of birds nesting in my beard - txxx