Friday, March 16, 2007

RSSenic and old lace

I spent a while this morning trying to work out how to combine the various RSS feeds from all of the Mind Bloggling blogs into a single feed that people can subscribe to so that they are automatically notified whenever a new item is posted.

Once the feed was working, I tested it in the Mind Bloggling offices using Internet Explorer 7. It was the first time I'd used IE7, and discovered that it automatically listed the tags used in posts and added up the number of times each one occurred. I assume that this only applies to items currently in the feed, rather than a cumulative total in all posts, but it's still a way of encouraging people to read posts.

I've tended not to use tags on my posts in recent weeks, but because of this discovery, I'm going to start doing it again.

(By the way, the combined RSS feed will be available from the Mind Bloggling website in a short while. In the meantime, you could subscribe to it through this link if you want. I'll post about this again when the link moves to the Mind Bloggling site so that you can update your subscription.)

3 comments:

emma said...

I can vouch for how clever all this is! Thanks for your help Alec - we are all very fortunate to have your involvement in this project. It's been great. Cheers, Em.

tone the blueshawk said...

absolutely brilliant - thanks for this - it will make keeping up with MB friends so much easier - txxx

tone the blueshawk said...

having used it for a few days I can now attest to just how useful this is - my feed list was getting overwhelmed with MB blogs (a good thing in almost all ways) and it was taking me ages to look at new posts. This new joint listing means I can comment more reliably and sooner after posting. Thanks again A